A downloadable bestiary
You reach the summit of the frozen mountain, shrieking wind whipping around the broad shield protecting your exposed face. You grit your teeth as you see the terrifying figure standing before you, burning red eyes peering within an icy white skull. The dead thing raises its arms and the two corpses laying frozen next to it shudder to life, hissing with rage.
You ready your shield and raise your bearded axe high above your head. You scream a prayer to the lost gods and charge forward...
Runecairn Bestiary is a 64-page tabletop RPG supplement for Norse fantasy roleplaying game Runecairn, adding 100 new monsters and rules for creating or converting even more.
The Bestiary Includes:
- 100 dangerous new monsters inspired by Norse mythology to terrify adventurers.
- 55 stunning and evocative illustrations from Kim Diaz Holm, Felipe Faria, and more.
- Guidance on creating your own monsters for Runecairn.
- Tips on converting existing monsters from Cairn and other Into the Odd games.
Update (01 Jun 2023): Itchfunding is now closed!
Itchfunding is an alternative to typical crowdfunding methods like Kickstarter and is more flexible and less stressful for creators. Unlike Kickstarter, there’s no hard endpoint for the campaign or risk the funding will fail. The campaign remains open and the book remains in development until the funding goals are met.
You aren’t funding a final product (though you will get a release PDF and physical copy, if you choose that level of support), but you’re funding the development and progress of the Runecairn Bestiary.
The Runecairn Bestiary is in active development. When you purchase it, you get the Ashcan Version, the latest and greatest version currently available, and any subsequent updates. Any payments you make go toward improving the book with more art and funding the physical release.
When we hit each funding goal, the PDF will be updated with the result.
If the project hits £500 I’ll be able to commission new interior art! This will be for new monsters such as the fallsdweller, oozes, sea reek, and more.
Outstanding artist Felipe Faria is now onboard to deliver some evocative and iconic creatures from Norse mythology! Felipe created some truly spectacular art for We Deal in Lead and I can't wait to see what he comes up with!
£1000 unlocks the hardcover print run, shipping after Itchfunding closes.
At £1500 I'll upgrade to hardcover to include full colour, to better show off Kim's amazing paintings.
Turns out the existing cover illustration was inspired by art from Assassin's Creed Valhalla . To avoid any sticky situations, I'm commissioning a new cover for the Runecairn Bestiary!
Tremendous artist and past collaborator Goran Gligović has agreed to create the new cover art. Goran did the cover for my weird west TTRPG We Deal in Lead and I can't wait to see what he comes up with!
In other amazing news, artist and designer Chaoclypse (@Brandon Yu) will provide art for the rear cover and title page!
If we unlock the colour hardcover goal, the next goal is to improve the quality of the hardcover with a sewn binding .
Having a sewn binding is the ultimate in quality, so I really hope we hit this goal!
Your purchase gets you the draft PDF version of the Runecairn Bestiary and any and all updates. This is all of the monsters but without final art or completed layout.
02 June 2023 (v1.0)
- Created new monsters based on Norse mythology
- Updated existing Runecairn monsters
- Converted some Cairn monsters to Runecairn
- Creating your own monsters
- Converting monsters from Cairn and other ItO systems
- Front cover
- Rear cover
- Interior art
Purchasing the Physical Release reward gets you access to the PDF as well as a hardcover printed copy of the Runecairn Bestiary when it goes to print.
Ships to the UK, US, Canada, and the EU.
Shipping costs will be collected after Itchfunding closes and are estimated at:
- UK: £5
- EU: £6.50 / €7.50
- North America: £9 / $11.50 USD
I’m currently taking retailer pre-orders for the Runecairn Bestiary hardcover, so if you’re a retailer (online or bricks and mortar), email me at email@example.com to arrange a wholesale order.
Retail price is £28 GBP / $35 USD.
Or you can find our store at shop.byodinsbeardrpg.com.
- Colin Le Sueur (@byodinsbeardrpg) - Writer/Designer
- Goran Gligović (@gorangligovic) - Front Cover Illustration
- Brandon Yu (@chaoclypse) - Rear Cover Illustration
- Kim Diaz Holm (@DenUngeHerrHolm) - Interior Illustrations
- Felipe Faria (@FELIPEMUKY) - Interior Illustrations
- Jeffrey Koch - Interior Illustrations
- Dean Spencer (@DeanSpencerArt) - Interior Illustrations
- Perplexing Ruins - Interior Illustrations
- Andriy Lukin (@andriylukin) - Runecairn logo
Since the initial release, the response to Runecairn has been incredible! The combination of the Norse mythology setting and Soulslike mechanics has really resonated with people. The one thing I'm asked most is: when can we get new monsters to fight? I'm super excited to say the answer is NOW!
The Runecairn Bestiary introduces 100 deadly new monsters, NPCs, and legendary creatures inspired by Norse mythology. You'll also find new rules and tips for creating your own Runecairn monsters and converting existing monsters from Cairn or other Into the Odd-based systems.
Now you can fill the Nine Realms with all manner of terrifying undead, colossi, or demons.
Dice Goblin Games (@DiceGoblinBlog), game designer:
By Odin's Beard RPG is one of the best creators in the #Cairn hackspace. And the Runecairn Bestiary might be his best work yet. The way in which he adds tiny gameplay tweaks to Cairn statblocks while keeping their simplicity is just really, really cool.
If you have additional questions, would like to schedule an interview, or have any other questions please feel free to reach out via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to download this bestiary you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of £10 GBP. You will get access to the following files:
- Resilience correction for sea reek and heather-backed whale, v1.177 days ago
- Digital PDF finalised, release v1.0!Jun 02, 2023
- New image for heather-backed whale, v0.17May 27, 2023
- Stunning new sea reek image, update to v0.16May 23, 2023
- New ooze images from Felipe Faria, update to v0.15May 15, 2023
- New index and spot art, update to v0.14May 13, 2023
- New image, updated Converting Monsters; v0.13May 12, 2023
- Feedback request, update to v0.12May 03, 2023